Tuesday, June 7, 2011

No, The Garden isn't Dead




No the garden isn't dead.

I've been traveling for work. So the family is bearing the load. My priest-husband is becoming a gentleman farmer. He fixed up the chicken tractor and retrieved the eight Rhode Island Reds, which we just enjoyed cuddling.  Oops. I'm typing on my computer without having washed my hands afterwards. I also popped an olive in my mouth with my fingers. I'll leave you to ruminate on that... Going to wash those digits.


So, while my video of us handling the chicks is uploading, let me say that my hubby hung CD's around the front beds and all the storms have twisted them off to the sides. The plants are still standing. The tiny nubs of basil, carrot, summer squash, flowering spinach, cilantro, brussel sprouts, and more are shining through the dirt.


My son has smashed the melon rinds from whose bowl I snarf up tons of middle eastern watermelon salad. In the compost pile, the seeds have sprouted too many watermelon plants which will never bear fruit. Hybrids, the lot. It is a sign, though, that my composting is souping up. I lay awake worrying about my lack of mulch and compost. I came home from listening to the May 21st "You Bet Your Garden" and started Craigslisted shredder/mulchers. Apparently Forsythia soups up fast when shredded because it has a high sugar content. Our entire back fence is Forsythia.  It's gargantuan.
Our sad compost pile

Dianne's potted broccoli
So, now, for now I'm itchy and enviously admiring Dianne's early harvests of tender broccoli and strawberries. I made delicious tapas with her flowerettes, the Belteros Ranch herbed chevre, and Soy-Flax chips. We ate this with my Lupini-Green Bean Salad and a side of Pomegranate Salsa and Chevre rounds for supper. It was 95 degrees today in C-ville and this went nicely with virgin Mango Margaritas.

Layla just finished her garden. Dinner plate Dahlia bulbs, Blazing Stars, Giant McKenna's, Asian Lilies, Spotted Mint and Brussels Sprouts all from our clearance and leftover starts. I started the last of melons- Canaries today. That's it. Now for the second round of Arugula before I give up until the cooler weather. Ah, life is good. Urban Farming. How Hip.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your tips and stories, questions and best books for improving the gardening experience. Think you have a vision for gardening, join the blogger editorial staff. Email the creator.