Saturday, April 28, 2012

Coming Soon! Book Review of Seedfolk from Young Adult author

Reading about gardens is as much fun as playing in them. When my student Jennifer asked me to critique an essay for Sylvia K Burdock Award, she introduced me to another book about gardening. In a few days, the award should be announced and we've agreed that would be a good time to publish her essay here.

In the meantime, NPR's Backseat Book Club promoted Seedfolks by Paul Fleishman. Check out an excerpt here.

Then, think about how gardens grow even where unbidden. I am enjoying the prospect of scavenge gardening, even as the rabbits have threatened my tomato, bean, pea and carrot starts. I lost most of 8-ball and melon starts in this wonky spring that turned warm, then snapped windy and cold. They were not in ground yet. They might have been safer there, where their lusty root system, pushing out of the pots wanted to crawl out. I was worried about the cold snap. I left in them the portable greenhouse which tumbled in gusty winds.  They were weary of their confines and gave up their lives in that last hurdle. Now we shall have to buy starts and plant seeds in a week or so for late rounds.

Care to make the most of your local plants? How about this. I learned Stinging Nettles, blanched in water, become delicious pesto. I think the economic downturn has made us all be a bit more creative. No dumpster diving yet, though I've thought about it. Instead, the growing season brings hope for yummier days.  Enjoy this link to NPR's "The Salt" blog for an affordable spring pesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your tips and stories, questions and best books for improving the gardening experience. Think you have a vision for gardening, join the blogger editorial staff. Email the creator.