Friday, July 13, 2012

Let's see some pretties from the garden before they all go to flower heaven







Just a bit of summer from my garden to God's eyes.  and yours.  I hope you enjoyed them.  Alice Ann was the photog, she likes playing with her dad's camera.

  Most things are withering away.  I keep watering the newly planted trees, hoping  that they will survive.  We are now about 5-13 inches below normal rainfall across Indiana, worst drought in decades.  My hydrangeas' blossoms may dry before they even bloom.  I have many wildflowers, which should handle the weather, God willing.

A friend just told me her water bill has risen $20 from watering her tomatoes.  If you can't do that,  wash dishes in a pan and dump the water in the garden. The soap will act as a bug deterrent, and it's what my Nana always did.  Some people keep a bucket in the shower and catch what they can to use in pots.  I suppose those living in the desert have many more types of water-saving advice.  Water early in the morning, or late at night, after sunset.  Maria has a timer on her hose, I like the process of watering, so don't mind standing in the bugs with the sprayer.  Watering deeply and less frequently is the key, so that the plants don't develop shallow roots, and are heat-affected more easily.


Dianne, not dirty, can't even get the weeds to come out of the ground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your tips and stories, questions and best books for improving the gardening experience. Think you have a vision for gardening, join the blogger editorial staff. Email the creator.