Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Commitment- Lettuce, Chicks and Asparagus

I slammed on the brakes in Carlisle, PA, on the road leading up to the turnpike. I knew something had landed on my tray of tiny plants, tucked by the heater, to coax on the germination.  Indeed, while none of the dozen or so seedlings was smashed, a few books and notepads were pushing down on the cling wrap covering my first tray of seedlings. Other than the re-sealing of the wrap, no damage was done.

I unloaded the tray Sunday night in cold March twilight, and we perched it under grow lights in our appointed place. The lighting fixture is on hold while we survive the bacterial zoo I also brought home with me. On Monday, I moved the peet pots of germinated seedlings to an open tray and laid the 4" terrarium bulbs in their fixture on the supports of an antique chair in my garden room. I blocked up the tray so my plants are just 1" from the lights, as Mike McGrath said to do in his recent You Bet Your Garden. I didn't realize this 'yous guys' swearin' gardener was the former editor of Organic Gardening. Now, I will pay more heed.  The little seedlings have already lifted themselves to the height of the plant. I'm worried they will get tall not broad. I haven't raised the light yet.

Last night, in a haze of flu-ish decision making, I bought 3.8cubic meters of peet moss, vermiculite and perlite. I came home and started up my arugula and lettuce tray with my son's assistance. He schlepped the heavy tray upstairs to the germination station with me warning and threatening and coddling behind him.  I laid it next to the heater, but not on a heating mat. It's lettuce afterall and likes a bit of the cold. By midnight, the heater had super heated our  bedroom and doubled our feverish sensibilities. We'd thrown off covers and threw open the window and perched our fan in it, in spite of the 35 degrees outside. Heater went off. It's warm enough for germination, I think.

Now to get off my duff and plug in the timer for the grow light. I just hope the lighting fixture is in place before we leave for Pennsylvania again this week.  And who to ask to care for my wee pets?

Oh, and on a final note, I committed to those Rhode Island Reds and some Bard Rocks! Thanks to all who posted on Facebook with great resources. Have that book? I'll read!  Now to craigslist the old kids playscape before Bright Week at the end of April. I have Bright Monday, the day after Easter, off, so we are doing liturgy and building our coop. How will all this come together?

Oh, and Mrs. C... You have tempted me to restart that destroyed asparagus run I had.... I see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your tips and stories, questions and best books for improving the gardening experience. Think you have a vision for gardening, join the blogger editorial staff. Email the creator.