Sunday, April 17, 2011

gettin' 'maters in

We went to Florida on break and while there, I bought Celebrity and Big Boy tomato plants at WM.  I brought them home and put some in the ground.
I just dug up enough ground for tomatoes, and because they are indeterminate, meaning they will just keep growing and producing throughout the season, I have moved fence over to a spot where tomatoes didn't grow last year so I can tie them up.    I put Ball jars over them for mini greenhouse effect.

I also planted some in pots and put them in a wheelbarrow and a big pot which get moved outside of the garage everyday and back in at night.  Here is a great view of the back garden, with the schlumpy compost heap to the right and the potato tires on the left.  The strawberry patch is to the front, it is coming up great!   I love to have a big bowl of berries, freshly picked, with a bowl of whipped cream to eat it with.... heaven!  I also transplanted some strawberries into a bed in the front yard, lots of sun, and I don't have to mow that bit now.  If you look closely by the side of the barn, you can see the grape arbor and then the raspberry trellises in front of that.  Our yard is 3.24 acres in town, I love that it feels like I'm still in the country. 

I found some broccoli and red cabbage starts, have them in the ground.  I bought peppers, but have not had time to get them in. We are expecting rain all week, and not really cold, so I may get the tiller out tomorrow and get some ground worked up.  I got a tiller many years ago when Bill went to Guard for two weeks, left me at home alone with a new garden, he came home for the weekend, we hit the hardware store, and I got a tiller.  It has served me well for probably 20 years. 

This is Holy Week, eveyone have a peaceful and productive week, and may you be prayerful in this time in remembrance of the crucifixion of our Lord, Jesus Christ, and be in celebration of the greatest event in the history of creation, the Resurrection of the Christ.  Alleluia!!!

Dianne, dirt and all and SAVED by the blood of Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your tips and stories, questions and best books for improving the gardening experience. Think you have a vision for gardening, join the blogger editorial staff. Email the creator.