Sunday, April 17, 2011

That Dang Walnut and Progress...

I have a Black Walnut that, when we moved back in, was not covered in the lovely ivy I planted years ago. Nope. That ivy migrated to my precious house, lily patches and my siding. Darnnit.

Nope that stinking Walnut was covered in poison ivy. I'm boiling tons of water to throw down, but having just read of two more interesting ways, I'm considering the vinegar solution. I would borrow my friend's goats but I think the township will frown on that. I'll save the boiling water for the bed where I've just propped a flat, then put in my seed potatoes there tomorrow morning! Yay.

No, I will make the following solution for that vicious IVY and maybe a few other plants:
Poison Ivy Vegetation Killer
1 cup salt
8 drops liquid detergent
1 gallon vinegar
Combine the salt and vinegar in a pan and heat to dissolve the
salt. Cool the vinegar, add the detergent, and pour some of the
liquid into a large spray bottle. Spray the vegetation. (You can
also just pour the mixture onto the weeds.) Refill the spray
bottle as necessary. Note that this formula will kill all the
vegetation, so make sure that you are only spraying the plants
you want to kill. If you need to use a lot of this spray, avoid
spraying it near wells, as the salt can leach into your water
supply.

After that, I need companion plants. Anyone have a wide variety of Hosta's I can cut? I will move daffodils and my day lilies there too. I was wondering where to put those, now that the sunnier places in my landscaping are to become homes for food producing plants.  

Lastly, I need some good cuttings of Black raspberries. Looks like those can take the juglone that noble, old Walnuts produce. If it wouldn't cost so much, I'd consider having this tree cut and selling its straight tall boughs.

1 comment:

  1. In other news, I'm going out to finish my pallet gardens with lettuce/pansies/herbs, painting the poison ivy and boiling off the errant the grass where my seed potatoes go.

    Anyone know of free Hosta cuttings, free black raspberry cuttings, and low cost or free 8" x12" masonry blocks?

    Gotta make the most of the mornings this Holy Week cause those Rhode Island Red and Bard Rock hens, the chicken tractor and the coop are on the docket for next week.

    Pictures of progress are forthcoming...

    ReplyDelete

Share your tips and stories, questions and best books for improving the gardening experience. Think you have a vision for gardening, join the blogger editorial staff. Email the creator.