Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Soil testing, not to be left out

I have a fairly large garden to the northside of my house, pictures have been posted.  Anyway, about 2005, we bought this house and had a kitchen added on that side, so all the lovely clay soil was spread about the back, right where I wanted my garden. I have been composting, mulching , turning it, whatever since then. 
Finally bought a soil test kit,  it tests for pH (acid, neutral, or alkaline), phosphorus, potash, and nitrogen.  It is a fairly simple thing to do, that's why I left it in the box, and Bill did it.
You place a little test capsule specific for each chemical in the specifically labelled little test thingie, it has graded colors up the side.  When you add water and shake, the water should turn to one of the colors on the side of the container.  This tells you the amount of specific nutrient, or the pH that is present in your soil.   And so, because I have been good about using mulch, and adding compost, I have "0" nitrogen in my soil, that's right,   "0."   Nitrogen is used up in decomposition, so what little I had had been depleted more when I added all the rotten good stuff to the soil.   Also, the potash tester didn't show much color.
So, called my local greenhouse, and they set me up with some muriate of potash, and ammonia sulfate (nitrogen).  Fairly inexpensive, I bought several bags, so I wouldn't hoard it and not use it.  I am also just applying to each plant, not much, but not broadcasting it, I don't want to encourage the **&^&^%%  weeds.   I was hoping I'd get to drive a big ole tractor with a big ole nitrogen tank on the back of it, all over the garden, the yard, the neighbor's yard, and anywhere else I wanted, but NOOOOO,,, it's not that sexy. I just open a bag and toss it out.  Farmers around here use anhydrous ammonia in big white tanks to apply to 500 acres at a time.  They ride around in an air conditioned cab, listening to tunes, using their freakin' GPS, for heaven's sake.   I get a lousy bag and have to walk it.  I also don't have to worry about the druggies trying to steal my stuff, like the farmers do.  I guess anhydrous ammonia is used in the manufacture of illegal drugs, meth, to be specific, the drug choice of stupidheads.   I always wonder, have these idiots smelled this stuff?  it's awful. 
Also, my pH was slightly acidic, so I need to add some lime.  I'm in Indiana, so we have plenty of that, it's just crushed limestone.  In the fall after harvest, sometimes you will see big white piles of stuff on the edge of a field. That is limestone that is added after the corn has sucked out all that was applied last year.
So, when the sky decides that it's done raining for a while, I'll be out there feeding the tomatoes so they will have luscious green leaves, not the kinda sick looking yellow ones they have now.  Nitrogen helps with that. 
Potash (potassium) helps with root development, cell wall structure, moisture conservation, and photosynthesis.

If you have a flower bed, and you use mulch, you should be adding nitrogen, as it is depleted with the breakdown of the organic matter.  Guess I'll be tossing some out in my front perennial beds. 

Also, with all this rain, I have been moving perennials like crazy.   I use a shovel and cut right down the middle of the plant, pull out half, fill in the hole.  Then dig a hole where I want the transplant, throw in some bonemeal, and plant and water.   With this lovely, damp, not real sunshiney weather, transplants do well because they don't dry out or get stressed by heat.

Dianne, dirt, fertilizer, and all

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your tips and stories, questions and best books for improving the gardening experience. Think you have a vision for gardening, join the blogger editorial staff. Email the creator.