Saturday, May 14, 2011

transplant time for perennials.

It's the second week of May, and if you are itching to start a lily garden, or just dig up something from someone else's flower garden, this may be the perfect week to do it.   Cooler, wet weather is the PERFECT time to move plants.   It cuts back on transplant shock, and you don't have to worry about having to water baby plants every day.  Also a good time for seeds, no need to keep the seedbed damp constantly. 

Plants I would recommend for moving to your yard for wonderful color later would be daylilies and  Asiatic lilies.   I dig  down under the whole plant and take  it out of the ground, then stand on a shovel that is set to divide the plant from the top down.  Then replant one half, and move the other.  Water  both and tamp down soil around the roots, for better contact with soil.  This helps plant acclimatize quicker.  Asiatic lilies (grows several upright stems) may be separated into clumps of bulbs, and replanted.  I have also found that my daisies have helped themselves to lots of ground space in my garden.   I think all they would take is a quick dig and a move. 

Maria caught me out in the garden this week with a shovel in my hand,  she went home with hostas, daylilies, and a few other goodies, which I believe she has planted already.  I will invite her over in June and July when the daylilies are in full bloom so she can pick colors.  My favorite is a 6 foot plant with HUGE blooms,  the centerpiece of the flowerbed.  Another favorite is Chicago Firecracker, from Greg Lough, at Sugar Creek Daylily farm, on IN 47, east of Darlington.   Ask around with your local gardeners to find a someone selling plants from their own beds.  This guy has a lily catalog that covers several pages.  And when you ask for a $6 start, he digs a huge shovelful.  He also has $100 plants that are brand new varieties. I can tell you it's a great field trip to his place. http://www.landspro.com/forums/showthread.php?2283-Sugar-Creek-Daylily-Gardens

I just remembered something.  I gave a big start from the tall daylily to a friend who had lost her husband a few years ago. I hate florist's flowers at funerals, and a beautiful perennial  transplant will come back for enjoyment for several years.   I went several weeks after the funeral, and she had time to walk me around her garden, and to know that someone was still concerned for her.

And speaking of demises,  have you considered your own?  I found out that in Indiana embalming is not required, good, because I consider it mistreatment of the body.  Also, concrete vaults around the waterproof metal casket are not required by the state, but may be by the cemetery.  I have discussed having a simple wooden box, made by a friend who has a lumber yard. He is freaked out every time I talk about it.  I think having your end decided before you go,  and deciding to go green is saving your family the trouble, and you get control over what happens to your body.   Some people write their essential "endnotes" and keep in an envelope on the fridge, very accessible, and easily changed. 

Update on sweet potato planting earlier in the week.   It was really hot ,80's, for a few days, and even with watering, they were a bit wilty.  I hope they all survive.  Gave myself permission to ditch some plants that are in the wrong place, and I didn't like in the first place. 

Dianne, almost burnt out with gardening this week

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your tips and stories, questions and best books for improving the gardening experience. Think you have a vision for gardening, join the blogger editorial staff. Email the creator.