Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My front garden

Robbie needed something to do this week, so in all the heat, I let him do this....

He and Bill went to HD and bought the wood, and put this arbor together.  He was sweating like a sailor, but gave the neighbors a show with his six-pack abs he's so fond of.   I'm trying to decide what to grow up it.  It still needs side rails, but those can wait at the moment.  I may just try some pole beans right now.  With this heat, they should grow like Jack's.  I'm not a big rose gardener, but I can grow CLEM-atis like nobody's business. 
Here is some of my frantically reproducing broccoli, closely planted with green peppers, to cut down on weeds.  After the first big sprout in the middle is harvested, side shoots will continue to form, as long as the plant survives the heat.  This is the back garden, but I also have them in the front.   They get more sun, so they are about finished for the season.


Tomatoes over the top of the fence. 

Stop glaring at the weeds, I mean it.  Stop.  The patch to the right is the strawberry patch, which has been mowed after production is over, and is growing back like gangbusters.  Behind them is the broccoli , green peppers, eggplants, and a bare spot, with the compost heap in there somewhere.  A new strawberry patch has been put in behind all this.  The long row to the left is the sweet potatoes, peering out from under the weeds.  My happy friends, the hollyhocks, are raising their faces to the sun, in jubilation that it ain't snowing.

Okay, so gardening isn't always pretty, neither am I after a bout with the obnoxious weeds.  Sometimes I just ignore them, they don't care, they carry on.  I just have to decide what is my tolerance level for them.  

Happy weeding to  all my dirty-fingernailed friends.

Dianne
Dirt, weeds, and all

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your tips and stories, questions and best books for improving the gardening experience. Think you have a vision for gardening, join the blogger editorial staff. Email the creator.